Monday, May 31, 2010

CUSTER COUNTY

I love driving on I-40. If I go far enough east on it, I end up in those rolling hills back home, where I came of age, where I can still turn back time just a little, and where I can always find a friend from way back when. And, if I go west on I-40, I watch the land flatten out and the western sky stretch out forever, and I know I'm in for an adventure. I've driven alongside of wildfires and into snow storms, on the same day, going west on I-40. And, I've watched in awe as storm clouds gathered miles away from me and then watched them pile up on top of each other in their eagerness to chase me down the road, rumbling loudly and shooting lightning out of the sky.







Yes, I know, a sane person would stay off of I-40 after all of that, but there's something about I-40 west that still appeals to me. I-40 runs from Wilmington, North Carolina all the way across the country to Barstow, California. Making that cross country trip is on my list of "Things to do before I die". And, yes, I really do have a list! I'm going to say it's the sense of adventure that calls me down I-40, and we'll just leave it at that.

I-40 also mingles and twists along the way with the historic Rte. 66, the mother road, west of Oklahoma City. The road is irresistible and no ordinary highway. I'm a sucker for blue whales, Indian gift shops and any other roadside attraction.

So, it wasn't a hard decision for me to decide to go to Custer County next. It's roughly a 90 minute drive west on I-40 from Oklahoma City. I'd driven through Custer County many times, but never pulled off the highway to look at the towns along the way. Probably because I was too busy trying to outrun storms and wildfires, but I finally got my chance to pull off the highway and check out the sights.

My first stop was the city of Clinton. It's not the county seat, but it is the biggest city between Oklahoma City and Amarillo, Texas, the Hub City of Western Oklahoma. And, it's home to the Route 66 Museum, at 2229 Gary Blvd. Woohoo! The mother of roadside attractions!

People from all over the world come by to visit this museum. I know this because when we signed the guest book, we noticed that the people before us were from France and the people before them were from Germany. And, it really is a great museum. It's full of detail, ambiance, art and imagination.

It starts off with a large curio cabinet, full of memorabilia from Rte. 66. This post card gives you an inkling of what's there.




Then, there are six rooms, each room covering a particular decade, with vehicles from that era as well as gas pumps, signs, pictures telling the story of Rte 66, a diner, too many things to mention, and music playing from each time period. The first picture below is of Rachael standing in the 60s room.




Here's Rachael hanging out in the 50s style dining room.


We even saw this guy there!




After you finish walking through sixty years of history, music and art, there's a "drive-in" theater where you can watch a short video about more history of Rte. 66. You exit through the gift shop where you're sure to find something you can't live without.

Clinton is also home of the Route 66 Festival, which features a car and motorcycle show, booths selling a little bit of everything, live music, and free hot dogs. This year the festival will be on Saturday, June 26th. If you get a chance to go, go! The museum will also have extended hours during the festival to give more people a chance to see it, too. So get down there and get your kicks on Rte. 66! (You had to know that was coming!)

Besides stopping at the museum, we also stopped at an Indian gift shop on our way home and I was able to get close to this fellow. He was shedding his winter coat, so he looks a little ragged.




Next, I'll be going to the towns of Arapaho and Weatherford in Custer County!

1 comment:

  1. You know, I lived over 10 years in Weatherford, but never made the trip to the Museum. Next time I'm out that way, I'll stop.

    And I'm glad to see a new post! Woohoo! Excellently written as always.

    ReplyDelete